0 Comment 1061 Views
The holidays are here. I love the holidays and so do criminals. Criminals take the opportunity of the shopping craze to scam and steal. Prevent the risk of becoming a victim this holiday season with these holiday shopping safety tips.
- Shop with your girlfriends or other friends. You are less of a target when you are shopping with someone else.
- Do not carry around a large amount of cash when shopping. Be mindful of how you hold your wallet when paying with cash.
- Stay alert of your surroundings. Parking lots and crowded places attract criminals. Make sure you are paying attention to what is happening around you.
- Beware of strangers coming up to you any reason. Directions, time or anything that can grab your attention. Criminals will try many different methods to distract you.
- When shopping with children remember to keep a close eye on them. Speak with your children about a plan if you become separated while shopping.
- Follow your instincts. If something does not feel right don’t do it. Don’t make the purchase, don’t go that way to the store. Listen to your gut it will guide you to keep you safe.
- When ordering online make sure the web browser’s address bar or a URL address that begins with shttp or https. This indicates that the purchase is encrypted or secured. Never use unsecured wireless networks to make an online purchase (yes Starbucks, Panera bread are unsecured wireless networks)
- Report a lost or stolen credit card to the credit card company as soon as possible.
- Remember to keep a record of all your credit card company numbers in a safe place at home. You will need this information to report anything lost or stolen.
- Avoid over shopping with large items. Order large items online to avoid having to walk to your car carrying around these items.